P.G. Department of History
- P.G. Department of History
- Courses Offered
- Faculty Profile
- Vision, Aim and Mission
- Publication Work
- National Seminar/Conferences organized
- Research Projects
- Strength Of the Department
- Outstanding Alumni
- Other Achievements
The Department of History, is one of the pioneer and oldest departments of the college established in the year 1934. It has had the topmost internationally reputed, stalwart historians at its helm as Professor Hari Ram Gupta, S.P. Sabharwal and Dr Satya Joshi who always made the Department proud to inherit their mantle. The standards and the values set by them still continue as the lighthouse for the growth of this Department. The Department has six topmost doyens in the form of the faculty who are from JNU, PU and GNDU and are fully involved in the research field of national and international repute in their respective fields. Students from the History Department are also groomed and chiseled in the same atmosphere with their involvement in research and work with a motive to make them the topmost historians. The History Department is also going to establish a nationally reputed museum by the end of 2019 in the college campus.
- B.A. WITH HISTORY AS A SUBJECT
- B.A. HONOURS
- HISTORY AND CULTURE (AS A SUBJECT FOR NON PUNJABI LANGUAGE MATRICULATE STUDENTS)
|1.||Dr. Pooja Prashar||HOD & Assistant Professor||M.A.(UGC-NET) Ph. D|
|2.||Dr. Amit Kumar Singh||Assistant Professor||M.A. (UGC-NET) Ph.D.|
|3.||Dr. Raj Kumar||Assistant Professor||M.A. Ph.D.|
|4.||Mrs. Ramandeep Kaur||Assistant Professor||M.A. Ph.D. (Pursuing)|
The fundamental vision of the History Department is based on a profound belief in the importance of history as an academic discipline. The specific vision of the Post Graduate Department of History is threefold. Firstly, students should view history as a fun and interesting subject. All the teachers within the Department love and value the study of the past, and we want students to match this passion, generating an interest in the past that will remain with them for life. Secondly, we wish to transmit knowledge and understanding of the past, both within the India and of the wider world. Students should have an understanding of how the world we live in has been shaped by the past. Finally, it is our aim that students continuously develop life skills such as thinking, evaluating, analysing, empathizing and communicating.
Department of History at DSCW trains individuals to appreciate the complexity and diversity of the human experience, to question simple explanations, to evaluate evidence in multiple forms, and to offer insightful interpretations with clarity of expression. As a post graduate department, the Department of History seeks to:
- Produce excellent scholarship that pushes the boundaries of historical inquiry.
- Mentor the next generation of historians through our Research guiding program, one in which our students benefit from advisors who serve as models of actively engaged scholars and one in which our students develop research, writing, and teaching skills that make them competitive for academic and non-academic positions across the nation.
- Educate undergraduate students, both history majors and non-majors, particularly about the value of research and help them develop their own analytical and communication skills that will serve them well in whatever they choose to do.
- Serve as leaders in expanding the DSCW and peoples around the world.
- Reach out to the public, particularly within Punjab, to advance its understanding of history and to encourage an appreciation for historical thinking.
- By adopting this mission, the Department of History will work with other units across the University of Kansas to prepare students to understand the complex origins of today’s world and its challenges and prepare them to make intelligent decisions about the future.
Our aim is to help the students develop interest and understanding about the life of people who lived in the past to develop a sense of identity and a cultural understanding based on their historical heritage to help make their own life choices today. We work to evaluate and appreciate significant contribution to events in the past have influenced our lives today and also to investigate these past events and, by so doing, to develop the skills of enquiry, analysis, interpretation and problem-solving. Our aim is to foster interest in the past and to develop an understanding that enables History to be enjoyed, what History has to offer and to appreciate how things have change over time along with to have some knowledge and understanding of historical development in the wider world and to develop a sense of chronology. The far most aim of the Department of History is to help society develop a sense of their cultural heritage.
|RESEARCH PAPERS (SCOPUS INDEXED AND UGC APPROVED JOURNALS)||82|
|PAPER PRESENTED IN NATIONAL/ INTERNATIONALCONFERENCES/SEMINARS|
|BOOKS PUBLISHED WITH ISBN||10|
|INSTITUTIONAL FUNDED/SELF FINANCED NATIONAL SEMINARS||21|
- POOJA PRASHAR applied for ICSSR major project with the title PARTITION OF PUNJAB:AN ORAL HISTORY PRESPECTIVE for the year 2017-18.
- POOJA PRASHAR applied for ICSSR Major Project.
- AMIT KUMAR SINGH applied for ICSSR Major Project.
- RAJKUMAR applied for ICSSR Minor Project.
- It is the oldest department.
- It is peer reviewed department.
- Department has young & highly Qualified and motivated faculty members.
- Most of the faculty members have presented & published papers at several reputed National, International conferences and journals.
- Department has excellent Student-Teacher ratio.
- Department is working on outcome base teaching-learning process.
- Department has formed a History students association, under which cultural & technical events are organized.
- Department has good number of Placements.
- Department keeps organizing workshops, International &National Seminars and class room seminars for the enrichment of knowledge of the students.
- Pradeep Khosa, owner of galaxy processing limited (Canada).
- Payal Dhawan, Judiciary Department, Ferozepur district and court complex.
- Rajvir Kaur, having Esthetic and Hinna Centre, (Canada).
- Kulwinder Kaur Sran, Assistant Professor, GNDU, Amritsar.
- SarabLal Jeet Kaur, Assistant Professor, Sant Darbara Singh college
- Shafali Chauhan, lecturer in dept. of history, GNDU, Amritsar.
- Prabhaleen Kaur, renounced actress in Bollywood.
- Mandeep Kaur, assistant professor, Guru NanakDev college
- Mandeep Kaur, SSP office, vigilance office, Ferozepur.
- Satwant Handa, assistant professor, Jas Dev Singh Sandhu college, Patiala
- Pooja Prashar presented her two papers in world congress of philosophy in Beijing, China.
- In the session 2017-18 department organized international seminar in which renounced historians from Istanbul and Beijing universities visited to share their knowledge.
- Department organized a cancer awareness camp, in which WHO representative Radha Saini along with Raja Paramjit Singh from Faridkot Medical College gave free check-up and essential guidance to the people of Ferozepur.
- On 11&12 November2018, department organized an international conference in which about 50 resource persons from around the world like USA, Singapore, South Africa, Maldives, Canada, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, China, Japan, etc. came along with national dignitaries. In this seminar around 300 delegates from all over India took participation.
- Pooja Prashar completed her distance education program from Oxford University on the paper INDIAN ART.
- On 12thNovember 2018 department, with the help of IIMS Bhuvneshwar’s Dr. Tanya Maiti organized a Psychiatric health camp.