Department of Functional English
- Department of Functional English
- Courses Offered
- Faculty Profile
- Vision, Aim and Mission
- Publication Work
- Research Projects
- Strengths of Department
- Outstanding Alumnae
- Campus Placements
- Other Achievements
There is no denying the fact that we dwell in an age of immense social and technological challenge and revolutionary transformations. We face the information and social media revolution, which, like the industrial revolution of the past century, is fundamentally reshaping the major aspects of our global society. We have also witnessed increased ethnic conflict, major corporate restructuring, and employability issues, particularly among the youth of the nation. Under this prevailing scenario, Communication in English is central to confronting these challenges. How can we communicate effectively in order to secure a decent employment, improve the verbal skills or prepare the students to be effective communicators in English are some of the gigantic challenges we deal with in the Department of Functional English? Through our interaction with intellectuals, students, community members, media agencies, leaders and chiselled speakers, we apply communication principles to these challenges in our Department with the view of producing a generation of the students who do not fight shy of conversing in English.
In order to translate this dream into reality, our most visionary Principal, Dr Mrs Madhu Prashar, an educationist of peerless repute, envisioned the idea of the Department of Functional English and under her dynamic leadership, in 1993, the Department of Functional English was created in Dev Samaj College For Women Ferozepur City. Over the years the Department of Functional English has fully evolved and thus it has become an integral part of the institute. Today, the Department has earned a distinguished reputation as it has a classy infrastructure and the most competent faculty. It is equipped with an ultra-modern English language Laboratory which is loaded with the most sophisticated language teaching Software from ORELL. The Department constantly strives to achieve extraordinary quality and has set the benchmarks based on the concept of doing rather than knowing. Feeling the pulse of the times, the Department of Functional English makes all-out efforts to enable its students to skilfully use the four basic aspects of the English language(LSRW). The Department has been contributing extensively in strengthening the professional English language proficiency of the students in their respective career domains since its inception.
- A. English with Linguistics and Phonetics
- A. with Functional English
- Dual Degree Add-on courses in Communicative English.
- English Competency courses like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE and Spoken English/Pronunciation Training Course.
|Sr. No.||Name||Qualification||Designation||Teaching Experience|
|1||Mr. Shiv Sethi||M.A., M.Phil, Diploma in CLT||Assistant Professor||13 Years|
|2||Ms. Navneet Kaur||M.A., B.Ed., M.Ed.||Assistant Professor||04 Years|
- To help the students see themselves as professionals, as part of a discipline with skills and abilities valuable in the business, teaching, publishing, or writing.
- To give the students a sense of themselves as citizens of a larger community by encouraging their participation in service learning and in diverse programs related with Functional English.
- To ensure that the students encounter creativity crucial to Spoken English through Role Plays, readings by professional writers, and their own creative and critical presentation on the burning issues.
- To balance the needs of the general education – communication, diversity, global perspectives, interdisciplinary studies-with the inculcation of the comprehensive knowledge of English language.
- To keep a well-oiled liaison with the other Functional English Language Departments of other Institutes to support the Department and bring about more innovations.
- To encourage and promote the culture of Spoken English in the college campus and also address the variegated needs of rural native speakers with the view of making them fully-employable.
The Department of Functional English at Dev Samaj College For Women, Ferozepur, helps students build knowledge of the content and methods of English language Studies like Communicative English, Functional English education, and academic, professional and creative writing. It also provides Innovative courses in Communication skills and Spoken English. In addition, our faculty is highly committed to an inter-disciplinary approach to knowledge, evident in their involvement in the programs such as Media Studies, Women’s Studies, Book Reviews, Socio-Political Studies, and Linguistic Studies. Our graduates are well-prepared for the professional and graduate study and for lifelong learning. They pursue careers in education, research, business, governmental and non-governmental sectors, Creative-Writing and publishing. The Department’s policies and its reading and writings extensively demonstrate our commitment to the liberal approach to English language teaching.
- To become fully-functional in Communicative English
- To choose appropriate communication methods
- To suit the needs of the students and the diverse situations.
- To apply English skills in a variety of contexts.
- To become increasingly independent, competent and confident.
|Papers Published in National/International Journal/Conferences||04|
|Articles Published in English Newspapers||205|
|Books Published with ISBN||02|
- Housed in a plush and swanky Department, a highly-sophisticated ORELL digital Language-Lab equipped with the Best-In-Class Interactive Language Learning Software.
- Highly vibrant and vigorous “English Club – a hub of communication skills” that enthusiastically organizes various student-centric activities like:-
- Communicative English workshops
- Personality Development Programmes
- Interview/Employability Skills Sessions
- ELT Symposiums
- Paper reading/Declamation/Group Discussions and Debate competitions.
- Skill-Enhancement sessions by the experts from the corporate and communication Industry.
- Collaborations with the Media House for the development of the “Journalistic Acumen” of the students.
- Provision of Foundation Courses and IELTS, TOEFL, PTE training for the aspirants.
- Well-stocked Departmental Library with the latest Books and Journals
- E-shelf, a digital section of the Library with ELT material and the documentaries based on World Classic Literature.
- Subscription to various leading English Newspaper, Magazines and Journals.
- The Department of Functional English has a regular membership of ELTAI (English Language Teachers’ Association of India).
- The Department collaborates with the leading British English Centres of the area.
- Highly competent and dedicated faculty that chisels the future of the students and anvil their experience.
|Ms. Rabia||Assistant Professor in English|
|Ms. Savita Grover||Assistant Professor in English|
|Ms. Khushboo Arora||Radio Jockey with Radio Mirchi|
|Ms. Sureshi Chhatarpati||Assistant Professor in Mass Communication|
|Ms. Swati Suri||Research Scholar|
- The faculty of the department renders its services as Resource Persons by organizing Skill Building Training Programmes for the staff and the students within the college and in other Institutes and Organizations as well.
- Shiv Sethi, HOD is a regular columnist in various National & International English Newspaper and Magazines as well. He has so far 200 publications to his credit.